Great. Child rape needs to be talked about and addressed.
Vanessa Williams reveals in her new memoir that she was sexually abused at the age of 10 by a family friend, E! Online reports.
In the new book, You Don’t Know, Williams recalls the incident, which she says occurred when she was visiting family friends in California and the family’s 18-year-old daughter came into her room one night.
“[She] pulled down the bloomers of my cotton baby-doll pajamas,” Williams writes. “‘What are you doing?’ I asked. ‘Don’t worry—it’ll feel good.’ I lay there paralyzed. What was going on? I didn’t speak. She kept at [the molestation] for I don’t know how long. She slid my bloomers back up and whispered: ‘Don’t tell anyone.’”
The Emmy-nominated actress, 49, says she kept the secret for years and only began to feel the ramifications of the traumatic event when she was in college.
“After that trip I felt something change in me,” she writes. “I had always been defiant, but I became a bit more rebellious. I began to pull away from my parents.”
LATEST PENN STATE NEWS – VICTIM VICTIMIZED – FORMER FBI CHIEF TO LEAD PENN STATE PROBE INTO CHILD SEX ABUSE SCANDAL.
The alleged victim who sparked the child molestation case against Jerry Sandusky has been forced to leave school due to bullying.
The alleged victim — referred to as Victim One in the 23-page grand jury presentment — was forced to leave school midway through this senior year after fellow students at Central Mountain High School, about 30 miles (48 km) northeast of Penn State University, reacted harshly to the firing of head football coach Joe Paterno.
The now 17-year-old’s family psychologist, Mike Gillum, told The Harrisburg Patriot-News the name-calling and verbal threats became too much.
School officials declined to comment on the situation, according to the report.
The investigation into Sandusky began in 2008 after Victim One’s mother made Central Mountain officials aware of the allegations of sexual assault. The alleged victim testified to meeting Sandusky through the former Penn State assistant coach’s children’s charity, The Second Mile, in 2005 or 2006.
Victim One testified Sandusky subjected him to multiple sexual acts between 2006 and 2008.
Sandusky had been assisting Central Mountain’s varsity football program during that time and had “unfettered access to the school,” according to the grand jury report. He was barred from the school district after the mother contacted officials and the matter was reported to authorities.
The ensuing investigation culminated earlier this month in Sandusky being charged in a 40-count indictment of sexually assaulting eight boys over a period of 15 years. The 67-year-old has maintained his innocence.
Louis Freeh, former FBI director, will lead an independent investigation into the details of the sex abuse case involving former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.
Freeh, in a Tuesday press conference held in Philadelphia, stressed that the investigation would be “leaving no stone unturned” in its effort to discover the details of the case that involves 40 charges against Sandusky involving eight separate alleged victims.
Penn State athletics director Tim Curley and senior vice president Gary Schultz have been charged with perjury and failure to report a crime.
“The allegations that have been raised and the charges that have been brought are extremely serious,” Freeh said.
The Penn State administration has been criticized for its role in this case and a failure to act when crimes were reported in 1998 and 2002. Hall of Fame football coach Joe Paterno and school president Graham Spanier were fired last week in the wake of the Sandusky scandal.
Bob Costas obtained the first interview with former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky, who admits on camera that he showered — but did not have sexual contact – with young boys. The interview will air during tonight’s telecast.
Sandusky, who was indicted on 40 counts by multiple accusers, told Costas, “I am innocent of those charges.” He was arrested Nov. 5 and charged with seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, eight counts of corruption of minors, eight counts of endangering the welfare of a child, seven counts of indecent assault, and other offenses. He is currently free on $100,000 bail pending trial.
“Well I could say that, you know, I have done some of those things,” Sandusky told Costas, according to an early transcript of tonight’s broadcast. “I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their leg. Without intent of sexual contact.”
All of the alleged sex abuse victims met Sandusky through their participation in The Second Mile. Sandusky founded the charity in 1977 as a group foster home for troubled boys. It spawned into a non-profit organization that has raised millions of dollars to help young boys and girls. On Monday, Chief Executive Officer Jack Raykovitz’s resignation was announced by the non-profit organization’s board of directors. Grand jury testimony alleges that Raykovitz was aware of at least one of the allegations against Sandusky.
“I enjoy being around children. I enjoy their enthusiasm. I just have a good time with them,” Sandusky said.