The previously reported new stage musical of King Kong, the sci-fi adventure melodrama about the giant ape who is exploited by showmen and falls in love with a blonde beauty, will get its world premiere in Melbourne, Australia, in 2013. The goal of a 2013 Broadway bow was previously reported, and that’s still the hope.
The Australian production company Global Creatures (of the arena spectacular Walking With Dinosaurs and the upcoming How to Train Your Dragon) is creating the large-cast show, drawing from the classic Depression-era movie (and the public-domain novel, according to Variety) in which a giant ape is plucked from a tropical island and brought to New York City — to appear in a vaudeville house. Expect a massive robotic Kong to rule the stage. The show is aimed at theatres rather than arenas, the creators said.
It will reportedly play the Regent Theatre in Melbourne, on dates yet to be announced.
As previously reported, King Kong – Live on Stage will feature a score by Marius de Vries (Baz Luhrmann’s “Romeo + Juliet”) and a book by Craig Lucas (Prelude to a Kiss). De Vries will also arrange the period songs.
THIS MUSIC IS FROM THE 60′S PRODUCTION…..
In the latest instalment of the zombie film saga that refuses to die, Victoria Police this morning raided the home of Richard Wolstencroft, the director of the Melbourne Underground Film Festival (MUFF), seeking a copy of the prohibited film LA Zombie.
The gay-porn-horror movie, by Canadian underground filmmaker Bruce LaBruce, was screened by Wolstencroft before about 200 people on August 29 despite effectively being forbidden from public exhibition in this country.
In July, the Classification Board refused to grant an exemption from classification to the film, which was originally slated to appear in the Melbourne International Film Festival that month.
Advertisement: Story continues below
A character for the movie L.A. Zombie.
However, on August 11, Wolstencroft announced his intention to stage a “public disobedience freedom of speech event” — an illegal screening of the film — on August 29.
“If the police turn up and physically stop me, what can I do?,” Wolstencroft said before the screening. “But they really hate coming to this sort of thing, they’re embarrassed.”
The screening went ahead as planned at CBD venue £1000 Bend. Police did not attend on the night.
This morning, however, three detectives from the Melbourne Criminal Investigation Unit did attend, arriving on Wolstencroft’s doorstep with a warrant to enter his premises and search for any copies of the film.
It is believed the detectives considered removing every DVD in Wolstencroft’s house, as well as computers containing two movies on which he is working. They were eventually dissuaded by his insistence that he had destroyed his only copy of the film, on DVD, after the August screening. Wolstencroft also admitted to police that the August 29 screening had gone ahead and that he was solely responsible for it.
A Victoria Police spokeswoman said Wolstencroft would face court at a later date.
Despite having frequently taken a defiantly anti-censorship position in the past, Wolstencroft appeared to be quite shaken by this morning’s events.
“I’ve never been charged with so much as jay-walking,” he told Fairfax.
“I find the situation that a little festival is being pursued in this way quite distressing and depressing.”