A new music video by gay Quebecois director Xavier Dolan for the popular French rock band Indochine features the crucifixion and graphic shooting of a bullied student at a Catholic school. In the clip, a bullied teenage boy is taunted in the hallways of the school before being pursued, thrown down stairs, kicked and pissed on, then nailed to a cross and shot several times by his classmates while others shoot the scene on their mobile phones.
It is being censored in Canada and France.
2_indochineThe video has been banned during daytime viewing hours in France, The Local reports:
Dolan reacted angrily to the prospect of the video being banned during daytime hours on music channels in France.
“That really bothers me. On these kind of channels you see situations that are racist, violent and degrading – particularly to women. “So it seems absurd to me that this video should be censored,” he added.
While French regulators may be shocked by the video, Dolan and Indochine have received significant support from French users of social networks.
Radio and TV host Emilie Mazoyer summed up the view of many Twitter users, saying: “Some people find Indochine’s music video ‘violent.’ Yes, it does turn your stomach for six minutes. But bullied students go through that 300 days a year. Imagine that.”
The film, which opens in select theaters on Friday, has made headlines in recent weeks for receiving an “R” rating from a movie industry group for language, namely for multiple uses of one particular curse word. In the United States, an “R” means kids under 17-years-old must be accompanied by an adult.
After failing to get the rating changed to one that is less restrictive, distributor The Weinstein Co. decided to release “Bully” without a rating. That, in itself, could limit audiences because some theater chains won’t screen films without a rating.
As the release date neared, however, AMC Theatres decided to allow kids as long as they have parental approval, and Regal Cinemas and Carmike Cinemas will show it, too, but under the same restrictions as if it were rated “R”.
THE FILM, WHICH IS ABOUT THE EFFECTS AND REALITY OF BULLYING SHOULD HAVE CUT THE ONE SCENE WITH FOUL LANGUAGE THE MPAA HAD ISSUES WITH. OBVIOUSLY THE MPAA NEEDS A MAJOR RETHINK, BUT FOR FUCKING HARVEY WEINSTEIN TO TURN THIS MOMENT IN TIME INTO BEING ALL ABOUT ONE FILM AND HIS COMPANY BEING DAVID AGAINST GOLIATH IS WRONG. THE PROBLEM IN THE WORLD NOW IS THE STATE OF PEOPLE LIVING UNSAFE LIVES. THIS NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED, NOT THE U.S. FILM CENSORSHIP SYSTEM.
SO, SEE THE FILM. TAKE YOUR CHILDREN AND TALK ABOUT BULLYING TO ALL. IT IS A HUGE ISSUE THAT ONE FILM WILL NOT END SO WE MUST ALL BE APART OF THE DEBATE.
OK, LOVE HIS VIDEO BUT SAYING ‘YOU CAN BE HAPPY, YOU JUST HAVE TO TRY’ IS TOTAL MADNESS. AND STUPID. AND UNWORKABLE FOR MANY PEOPLE. AND STUPID, DID I SAY THAT ALREADY? WELL, IT IS.
- 20-Week Abortion Ban Passes House.WATCH - Russell Brand on Awareness Of Drugs Addiction As A Health Issue.Adam Lambert Number Four On 'After Elton/The Backlot' Hot One Hundred Men.WATCH - Kanye West Releases 'American Psycho' Inspired Promo Video - Should Not Have.Russian Parliament Bans Adoption for International Same-Sex Couples.
- ChrisDRHSteve GrayJohn Parkersamuel daniel
- LEARN - Why No Torrents Of 'The Name Of The Doctor' Have Appeared?UPDATE - The 'Doctor Who' Finale Has NOT Leaked.In Defence Of Anne Rice And Her Facebook 'Fans'.Gay Publisher Norm Kent Likes Food And Sports But Not Adam Lambert.BREAKING - 'Old Dogs And New Tricks' Loses Lead Actor With Ryland Shelton Suddenly Quitting The Show.
- In Defence Of Anne Rice And Her Facebook 'Fans'.LEARN - Why No Torrents Of 'The Name Of The Doctor' Have Appeared?UPDATE - The 'Doctor Who' Finale Has NOT Leaked.Scribe Wants Answers In Jesse Ryder Street Bashing - 'No-One Gets Attacked In Christchurch For No Reason'.LEARN - April Chadwell Has NOT Been Put Up For Adoption For Being Gay By Her Christian Parents.
- adam lambert
- closet case
- Doctor Who
- glee season 2
- glee season 3
- lady gaga
- music video
- my boyfriend
- New Zealand
- season 2
- true blood
- Chris on Opera Singer Chase Douglas Offers $500 In Exchange For Expunged Record Of Three Nasty Assault Charges.
- DRH on WATCH – “The Church Doesn’t Like the People to Grow Up.” – Bishop John Shelby Spong.
- Steve Gray on NEIL PATRICK HARRIS – Enough Of Nasty, Child Hating, Flat Singing, Prick Hosting The Tony Awards.
- John Parker on NEIL PATRICK HARRIS – Enough Of Nasty, Child Hating, Flat Singing, Prick Hosting The Tony Awards.
- samuel daniel on So, Osama Bin Laden Is Dead, Nothing Changes But Yanks Go Nuts.
- LOOK – Kiwi Olympic Speed Skater Blake Skjellerup Still Standing Up For Russian Gays. | the real STEVE GRAY on Can Johnny Weir Shut The Fuck Up And Stop Enabling Gay Hate In Russia.
- Steve Gray on WATCH – ‘Smash’ Has ‘The Big Finish’.
- funbunn40 on WATCH – ‘Smash’ Has ‘The Big Finish’.
- Steve Gray on ABC Family Spokesperson- “I Have Nothing New To Report” On “Bunheads”.
- Jill on ABC Family Spokesperson- “I Have Nothing New To Report” On “Bunheads”.