Why Did Adam Lambert Apologize To ‘The Gay Community’?
“As a community, we’re a little bit resistant to a gay male pop star ourselves,” Lambert says. “It’s very easy for people to look at my origin, which is American Idol, and automatically assume that I’m a commercial sellout or a puppet or a flash in the pan. I don’t think I’m any of those things. There’s something weird there. We’re very eager to celebrate a strong female. But to celebrate a fellow gay man — it gets catty sometimes.”
People have been asking me for my ‘gay take’ on this comment from an interview with ‘Instinct’ magazine, and why Adam tweeted an apology to the ‘gay community’ for the comment. THESE ARE JUST MY IDEAS AS TO WHY THE SHIT ‘GAY PRESS’ ARE MAKING THIS A STORY…………..
1. No-one can speak for a ‘community’. Is always going to make it easy for anyone to say ‘that person does not represent me’.
2. Am not sure if the gay community is resistant to a out gay star, is more likely still in shock that a singer had the balls to actually come out in this political climate in America. America prefers it gay firmly in the closet, and many gays hate out proud gay men. So maybe not so much resistant as idiot assimilaters and ‘post gay’ scaredy cats. So, as Adam is the first singer to be out from the start of his career, may take the closet cases awhile to catch up and realize Adam being out will not get them bashed.
3. Don’t kick the hand that started you, as in ‘Idol’. He needs to remember his origin in on stage, not from ‘Idol’. And spread that good word. Theater is far cooler than ‘Idol’ can ever hope to be.
4. Don’t tell people what they think or how they feel. EVER.
5. The whole ‘diva’ comment is assured to get the gays ropable, and it has. THERE ARE NO FUCKING DIVAS NOW. Madonna was loved because she made great dance music in the 80′s and 90′s. You could dance to it in clubs. She is loved because she changed herself and music at that time. Adam, when you have been around for 30 years you can dis the classic divas. Until then……………….best to leave them behind.
6. Teenagers are behind the success of Katy Perry and Lady GaGa. Not gay men.
7. Saying the gay community never celebrate other gay mens’ success???? THAT IS WHAT GOT BACKS UP. Well, mine anyway.
8. Sadly, I think this comment on Queerty sums up how most of them seem to feel………….
His whiny rant reeks of entitlement.
Gay people are not obliged to buy his stuff and support him, just because he is gay.
…………………..People like your work if they like your music. It kinda reads like he expects gay people to like and support his music because he is gay. I don’t think he meant that, but it can be read that way. And they won’t.
His best idea now is to make good music that people like. Don’t pander, stop listening to everything the record company tells him, and MAKE AND RELEASE GOOD MUSIC.
AND HIS APOLOGY……
I’m still learning.Sometimes I state my opinions as fact and make generalizations.I apologize to the LGBT community.Great music is the key.
Ha, we agree, great music is the key.
TO BE HONEST, I AM IN SHOCK HE APOLOGIZED FOR A RATHER NOTHING COMMENT AND GOT AWAY SCOT FREE WITH HIS ‘HEY, LEAVE GALLIANO ALONE, HE MAKES PRETTY CLOTHES’ TWEET. IF THEIR WAS SUCH A THING AS ‘GAY MEDIA’ THAT FLIPPANT TO THE POINT OF IDIOTIC TWEET SHOULD HAVE BEEN COVERED. BUT THE GAY MEDIA LOVE AN EASY, NOTHING STORY. BLESS THIER LAZINESS. NOT. OH, AND ‘TRESPASSING’ SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE FIRST SINGLE ON ‘TRESPASSING’. RELEASING THE EMO SAMENESS OF ‘BTIKM’ WAS A BAD CHOICE AND TRESPASSING NEEDS TO BE HEARD NOW. IMO X